Sunday, June 30, 2013

Learning lessons

Last week, I unintentionally learned a few things about myself.

1. I don't like talking in front of people. It's weird because I'm such an outgoing person, but there is something about addressing large groups of people that freaks me out. You'd never be able to tell because I hide it super well, but this week at VBS, I did everything in my power to say as little as possible on stage. I do like dancing and acting on stage, but

2. Nothing overwhelms me more than when I feel pressured. On the outside, I keep clear boundaries, but internally, I am afraid of messing up and being an outcast.

3. I really, really like working with children. I LOVED VBS and I connected so well with all the kids. I helped with some crews throughout the week, and I noticed how I always had an idea up my sleeve of an activity we could do or a way to make everybody listen. I think that's partially due to my big imagination (which isn't always a blessing, I might add :).

4. I like to take initiative.

5. When I'm around certain people (specifically, middle school boys), I have a tendency to speak my mind. In other social situations where I might feel more timid in being sassy, I find it easier to comment when it's growing boys who take delight in gross bodily functions and spitting in each others drinks.

6. I love children's movies. Just the other night, some friends and I watched "Tarzan" (best movie ever!) and it was awesome.


There is something else I realized about myself last week- how badly I needed to reconnect with my core group of friends. Last school year, I would see these people three to four times a week. But wedding planning and my emotional detachment had really separated me from the people I really cared about. I was depressed and didn't realize how much I needed to be social again. I felt tired and lonely and left out. Everything around me was changing (it still is) and I hated it.

A friend's birthday party two weeks ago brought us back together again. It felt so good to hang out just like old times. I really hoped that I could re-establish in our group, and thankfully, they welcomed me right back :) The next day I went to "Cool Desert Night" with some of them, and the next day we all played basketball at my house for my sister's grad party.

Last night, some of these same friends came over to hang out at my house. And it was then that I also remembered how good it was to worship together. We haven't had band practice in months, but Friday night we sat around the fire pit with Jacob on the kahone and Eric on the guitar and everyone together praising God.

Jacob, Eric, and me worshiping Friday night



James, Ryan, and Lizzy singing together :)


In Matthew 18:20 it says, "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them." This passage shows how vital it is in a Christian community to have fellowship in Christ. I am so grateful that God provided me with the fellowship I needed last week- through both VBS and the small gathering on Friday night. I realized this week that am so much stronger when I am standing with others than when I'm standing by myself.

"I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together, we can do great things." Mother Teresa



No comments:

Post a Comment