Friday, February 28, 2014

A Birthday to Remember: 16 Going on 17

What comes around, goes around, so they say. However, I was NOT expecting a surprise birthday party when I woke up this morning. My birthday isn't for two weeks after all. And I mean, a girl can hope and think how awesome it would be to have her friends plan a party for her, but normally its just a fun thought to entertain. However, today, that girl was me :) And I was blown away by what my amazing friends put together to celebrate... well, me! ESPECIALLY because it is practically impossible to plan something without me knowing about it. But plan they did. And I had no idea what was going on behind closed doors!

So the past couple weeks, my mom had been planning for her and I to go out to lunch with a dear friend of ours (Mrs. Diaz :) who had encouraged me and opened her home to me during a mini-crisis. In the back of my mind, I was feeling skeptical about the whole thing, since the whole thing seemed kind of out of the ordinary. I learned later it was an excuse to get me out of my sweats (literally. I worked out at the gym this morning!) Anyway, I went to lunch without anything peculiar. UNTIL.

My friends Lizzy and Kim show up out of NO where, and kidnap me. Seriously. Apparently, the whole thing was a set-up. So I hopped in the car (no idea where we were going). The girls ended up taking me on a shopping trip- no boys this time :) Then they took me back to my house to get ready to go "somewhere." All they would tell me is that I needed to be dressed up. 
  


Kim, me, and Lizzy before going "somewhere"
If I look overly ecstatic, its because I am :)

They brought me to Olive Garden after successfully confusing me to where we were going (special thanks to Kim for the extra turns in the car to throw me off while my eyes were closed :) The girls walked me past the lines of people waiting to be seated, telling me they had a reservation. However, the "reservation" was actually a table full of my dear friends, who had all gathered to celebrate my birth. I was shocked, to put it lightly. Lizzy told me later that all the planning was worth it to see the look on my face when I saw all those people. I couldn't keep my jaw from dropping and my lips from smiling. And it gets better :)

After an amazing dinner with great conversation, we said adios and headed back to my house, just the three of us. Until about 20 minutes later, when everyone surprised me again by showing up at my house while I was downstairs changing. Yeesh! So many unexpected activities today, yet I loved every minute of it!



 The last surprise of the day.
Kim and Lizzy compiled a photo scrapbook for me, filled with photographed memories with the people I care about and sweet, handcrafted notes alongside the smiling pictures.
 As I read through the beautiful words of encouragement and love, I knew God was reminding me of how much He cares for me. And He expressed it through these marvelous people.



My amazing friends whom I love so dearly, each from different walks of life yet all so important to me. 
And side note, the shirt/earrings I am wearing are the fruit of our shopping trip earlier in the day :)



Having a blast partying at my house :)
The fabulous guests (L to R)
Morgan, Sara, Liz, Kim, Eric, me, Ethan, Maggie, Ryan, Devon,  Lizzy, Sis, and Marissa (not pictured: Calloway, who came late after work)
Another miracle- my sister from Montana just happened to be in town the day of the party with her ministry team. Seriously, God has some wonderful plans up His sleeve!



My birthday cake, made by Kim. It was a volleyball with my number "16" on it. And 17 candles, of course!


Here is a small secret. I didn't even make a wish. What could I possibly wish for after such an amazing day? All I know is this: God is good. He poured His love onto me so powerfully today through this blessed experience. The only thing I missed was the people who couldn't be there today, for whatever reason. My dear friend and sister Stephanie (and her hubby too!) were unable to be with us at my special party. And also, my dear friend and sister Gabbie, whom I miss so very much. Please know I missed you all who couldn't attend, but I know that you love me even though you couldn't be with me.

And special thanks to all the people who put such hard work into making this the best day ever. Kim and Lizzy: You guys are the BEST party planners I ever met! Way to surprise me- sooo hard to do, but you guys managed. Ryan and Eric: Since Olive Garden doesn't actually do reservations on Fridays, thanks for spending the extra hour waiting and waiting and saving us the table. Mom: Thanks for all the housework and controlling my schedule (even though I was unhappy about that for a while :). And to all the people who showed up. You have no idea what an impact you've made on my life. I can't wait until the day when we all get to heaven, so you can see how much your love has meant to me. 

Thank you, God, that I was born.

3 comments:

  1. As sad as I am to have missed being part of such a wonderful event, I could not be happy for you! You deserve the best Dani, and I believe that is exactly what you have been given! Thinking of you all the time but especially in your birthday month! Thanking Jesus for the gift of my beautiful sister's life <3 I love you so so so so much! Here is to your year of being 17! Live it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldn't of happened to a more worthy young woman! So glad you felt God's love smiling down on you! You're a beautiful, kind loving girl & I'm thankful to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy happy birthday, happy happy day! I'm glad you were born too!!! I love you lots and I was glad to have been there for your party!

    ReplyDelete