Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Great Birthday, Great Year (Part 2)

Last post, I talked about how amazing my birthday party was, but that was only the icing on the cake. My actual birthday is another story. Seriously.

My birthday started out pretty good, aside from the fact that I had to be up early for work. I woke up to find our hallway walls decorated with balloons and baby pictures hanging everywhere. The surprise didn't end there. When I walked out the door, past my birthday sign on the porch, I saw that Mom and Becky had "cleaned" out my car (aka threw all my mess into the trunk), filled my car with balloons, written on the windows, and tied ribbons to all my doorhandles. I got a good kick out of those because they flap in the wind when I drive.

I got to work and my supervisor had make sticky buns for me! It was like a cinnamon role with maple syrup caramel gooey goodness. They were SOOO good, I had two :) She also gave me a card, signed by all my coworkers, and some bedazzling jewels to put on my phone. I no longer felt the affects of having to get up early at that point :)

When work was over, I went to my classes and basically passed out delicious chocolate chip cookies that I'd made to my French class, my teachers, and pretty much anyone that I passed in the hallways that I knew. They were pretty yummy, so I've heard :)

I had a break in between my science class and my lab, so my sister Lizzy brought us some Costa Vita food (soo good!!) and we chatted outside about Miranda Sings and law enforcement. It was extremely enjoyable, especially getting to spend some time with her, since my party unfortunately fell on her performance night.

When I was done with school for the day, my mom had told me she had a "little" surprise for me.

"Little" was an understatement.

It's no small thing when your dear friend who lives in another state makes a surprise visit on your birthday to spend your special day with you. And that's exactly what Miss Gabbie Rehder of Cottonwood did for me.

The rest of my birthday day was spent catching up and having a blast with the girl who witnessed my transformation from a girl to a woman, the one who encouraged me to be myself and reach for the stars.

My birthday with Gabbie was a great reminder of who I am. I am squirrelly. I like Mr. Bean and Tim Hawkins. I am random, like when I want to ask people if they are allergic to coconuts when I'm trying to find an excuse not to hug them. And when I'm with Gabbie, that side of me, the dorky, untamed, silly yet sincere part of me comes out. Because together, us girls can find a way to use "heartbroken" and "cotton balls" and "graffiti butt gangster" in the same sentence (don't ask). And who else could I do embarrassing things with like backing up in the drive-through with and feel justified???

As in my last post, my birthday truly reflected the kind of year I want to have. It was full of surprises and fun. Gabbie and I went and got coffee, got our nails done, laughed ourselves silly watching "Mom's Night Out," ate some delicious fries, and lost a cumulative of $1 at the lottery. And that's life. Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's convenient, and sometimes you lose the stupid lottery and wonder why you aren't the lucky person who wins the 50 million dollar jackpot (The answer is, because if I would've won any money, I wouldn't have been able to stop :) God uses our experiences in ways that sometimes, we can't see on our own.



My birthday was wonderful. It wasn't what I was expecting (isn't that always how it goes?) but I wouldn't have changed a single thing (haha, not even being single. Because if I would've had a boyfriend, Gabbie and I couldn't have had our classic "woes of singlehood" conversation :)

It was a good day. I am so thankful I was born!

Check out Gabbie's blog to her take on our wild day!

http://gabberdella.blogspot.com/2015/03/surprise.html

2 comments: